People often ask me about the name of my blog... click here to read the story.







Thursday, April 23, 2009

Rest

"...in repentance and rest is your salvation, in quietness and trust is your strength..." Isaiah 15:30

Why is repenting, resting, waiting, and trusting so hard?
Arranging, planning, managing...those are easy.
But, although I'm no Biblical scholar, I don't recall in all my years of reading scripture and listening to sermons ever hearing an exhortation to contrive & manipulate our own circumstances.
Yet, that seems as natural to me as breathing. I don't even realize I do it sometimes. And honestly, if you know me, I'm not a control freak...I'm an "in the moment" kinda girl. So how do you more naturally managing people do it???
If I'm laid back & struggle, it must be awful for you.
Or perhaps personality has nothing to do with. Perhaps it's simply human nature to want "dominion" over our selves and our surroundings.
Either way, repentance, rest, quietness and trust are hard things to live.

"When you pass through the waters, I will be with you; and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you. When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; the flames will not set you ablaze." Isaiah 43:1-3

3 comments:

Chris Godfredsen said...

You are so right. I am more of a control freak than you, I am sure, so - AAAHHHHH! I have been convicted in the last several hours to retreat - to be quiet and still. Jesus did it often. When it became too much, he went for quiet and his Father.

I am going to try that, too.

Miriam said...

Even in the moments of a solitary walk, I couldn't make myself concentrate on Father--I was mentally planning the weekend, the grocery trip I need to make, renting a movie--I need to take my own challenge and do quiet.

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

What Miriam said ...

That can be me. I can even manage to sabotage my efforts of "rest" by making mental lists and notes during those times of respite. Thoughts wander.

I'm a disciple in the Garden of Gethsamane: Can I not wait for one hour watching for my Savior?

- sigh -