People often ask me about the name of my blog... click here to read the story.







Thursday, March 4, 2010

Beware the Me Monster!

When people talk, listen completely. Most people never listen. ~Ernest Hemingway

Brian Regan is one of our favorite comedians. As a family, we quote his material incessantly, much to the dismay of friends who've never heard of him. One of his bits off the DVD "I walked on the moon" talks about a "me monster": someone who only enters into a conversation so they can share their own story or top someone elses.
It's such a funny, true, convicting sketch. Take a few minutes to watch it...



Did you laugh? I've seen it countless times, and I still do!
I hope I don't enter into conversation solely so I can tell my own story, but I know I'm guilty of immediately interjecting my own tales; maybe not to out-do the other person, but certainly to make sure I'm heard.
That's it isn't it. We desperately want to be heard. To be known. To be valued even if it's for a few seconds because of an insignificant story.

Funny creatures we are.
I think that's why people sought, followed, and adored Jesus. He listened and saw through all the layers of bravado and junk to the heart of the speaker.
That's the kind of person I want to be. More concerned that someone else is being heard and understood than myself.
I want to listen today...this week...this life...really listen and not be a "me monster".
But oh, how short I fall from that goal.
God, may my ears be open and my mouth be shut today!

3 comments:

Jennifer @ JenniferDukesLee.com said...

I'd try to say something intelligent, except for the fact that I can't stop laughing to get the words out.

Perfect.

amyjorus said...

oh if this isn't the truth about this sorry bit of humanity

Cherie said...

Stop it... I don't really like seeing myself that clearly. Write some drivel and make me feel better about ME already...