People often ask me about the name of my blog... click here to read the story.







Wednesday, March 30, 2011

flashes


Flashes of lightening and rumbling thunder break through the silent dark night. Listening to the icy rain hit the window I'm reminded again of my smallness. Our smallness. For all our knowledge and technology we can't, with %100 accuracy, predict, plan or direct the path of a storm.

There's general calm in our home right now. Aside from a nasty flu bug, the sky's are blue. But even here in the mostly sunny spot, gray clouds threaten. They take the form of thoughts; my thoughts. Accusations form a menacing and dark and low hanging wall cloud. Some of the blaming words fall on me: what's wrong with you? why can't you be more thankful? you're not doing enough. you're not enough. And when my brain's ready to explode just to expel the stinging words, they shift from myself to others: you deserve more. what was she thinking treating you that way? they always have to be right. you've been wronged. Pride plays a ridiculous game with our emotions making us the victim and victimizer at the same time.


Then, when I step back and observe my thoughts instead of participate in them, there's another voice. No blame. No accusations. Only Grace offered up freely to this broken woman. And forgiveness breaks through and I'm off the hook and others are off the hook and the calm returns.


Life whispered to this weather beaten soul Be still and Know that I AM God.



**my daughter took this photo on her way to school last year**

1 comment:

tierney said...

Our own smallness (helplessness) and God's grace are so hard to accept - ironic, since they are whether we like them or not, and since they're the only way to salvation. Thanks for writing - I need to reminder to be still right now.

(Also, I think I might have phone-photographed the same clouds last year, while hurtling similarly down the highway. Crazy beautiful.)